Outstanding GCSE success for year 11 students at Ark Academy
Despite the many changes and increased level of challenge to the GCSE exams this year, Ark Academy students performed exceptionally well across the board. Our school’s estimated Progress 8 score is +0.4, demonstrating that students made nearly half a grade more progress than their peers across the country. The Attainment 8 measure is also very positive, and up on last year, with average attainment across the school of 5.1; classified as a strong pass!
The results were particularly pleasing at the highest grades. A fantastic 51 grade 9’s were awarded (double last year): 14 in Religious Education, 10 in English Literature and Chemistry, 5 in Biology and 3 in Maths. A quarter of all grades were 7+ (the old A*/A grades) and 42.5% were a 6+.
These fantastic results are just one of the many factors that have led to many students deciding to continue their higher education at Ark Academy Sixth Form.
|Headline Measure||2018||2017||2016||Headline Measure||2018||2017||2016|
|Attainment 8 Score||5.1||5.0||5.3||9-4/9-5 in English & Maths||74%/49%||75%/57%||70% (C+)|
|Progress 8 Score||+0.52||+0.4||+0.3||Ebacc (English Baccalaureate)||30% (64% entered)||35% (55% entered)||39% (62% entered)|
- An impressive 73% of our students achieved a grade 9-4 in 5 or more subjects
- Our students attained particularly well in the core subjects maths and English. 74% of our students attained a 4+ in either English language or literature and maths; almost half the year group attained a 5+ in both.
- In English, 81% achieved a 4+ in English literature and 74% achieved the same in English language. There were 9 students who achieved a grade 9 in English
- In mathematics, 78% of students achieved a grade 4 or above. A solid 23% of students achieved 7+ (equivalent to A*-A).
- Our students’ results in the English Baccalaureate were positive, with 30% achieving A*-C in all EBacc subjects – well above recent national averages.
- Really pleasing results for RE with just 2 periods per week in Year 11 and a significantly harder exam with 48% 7+, they also had the highest number of grade 9’s at an awe inspiring 14.
Year 11 Attain
Year 11 Attain
Year 11 Attain
|Art and Design||38%||25%||25%|
|Attainment A*-D||Attainment A - C||Attainment A*-A|
|Attainment A - D||Attainment A - C||Attainment A - A|
|Grade||Cumulative %||Grade||Cumulative %|
Success for all students
We are proud that regardless of their prior attainment, all students make excellent progress at Ark Academy. This is highlighted by the fact that high, middle and low prior attainers made progress of +0.6, +0.4 and +0.4 respectively. Demonstrating that, regardless of of prior attainment, all students make significantly greater progress than their peers do across the country.
Individual student successes
So many students achieved fantastic overall reults this year!
- Kamya Mandhar who joined Ark Academy in Year 9, scored the highest grades with a fantastic 9 grade 9’s, 1 grade 8 and an A grade in Additional Maths!
- Oliver and Luke Coutinho: Oliver made the most progress of any student in Year 11. His expected Attainment 8 was 5.1 but his actual Attainment 8 score was a massive 8.3 giving him a progress of +3.2 from starting in Ark Academy. Oliver achieved one 9, seven 8’s, one 7 and a grade A (the highest grade that is awarded) in Additional Maths. Oliver said he “worked really hard and is very happy with his grades”. His brother Luke also out performed on his expected grades increasing his attainment 8 from 3.6 to 5.0.
- Beheshta Harghandiwal achieved an impressive 5 9’s, 5 8’s and a grade A (the highest grade that is awarded) in Additional Maths. Beheshta was visibly shaking as she opened her results but managed to say
- “Thank you to all my teachers and family for making this possible. I want to remind everyone that anything is possible if you put in the work and discipline yourself.”
- Laiba Aamir made fantastic progress with an attainment score of 8.4 in comparison to her already impressive expected attainment of 6.1.
We are incredibly proud of what our year 11’s have achieved and wish them all the best for the Post 16 journey ahead!