Sixth Form Procedures for Attendance and Lateness
- Students are expected to attend all timetabled lessons, study periods and tutor times as directed by their Head of Year.
- In the case of illness, on the first day of absence parents are expected to contact the school reception by telephone as a matter of courtesy by 8.15am that day. A letter or email from the parent to the Sixth Form Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org) should be provided on the first day of their return.
- Parents of a student who is absent without reason will be sent a text message by the Sixth Form Administrator that same day.
- If a student misses any lesson, tutor period or study period without suitable notice or is late three or more times in a week, they’ll be required to ‘catch up’ the time in Compulsory Catch Up from 2.40pm – 3.30pm on a Friday.
- Persistent poor punctuality and absence will be addressed according to the Sixth Form Disciplinary Policy.
- If a student needs to leave school early a request must be made in writing. This should be shown to their Sixth Form Tutor 24 hours in advance of the day.
- Parents will be contacted by the Sixth Form Tutor or Sixth Form Administrator whenever there is any doubt or concern regarding a student’s absence. Even if notes are received, concerns regarding attendance may be brought to the attention of the Head of Year and Director of Sixth Form.
- In the case of prolonged or repeated absences due to illness students may be requested to provide a doctor’s letter for confirmation. If the situation continues please be aware the school may contact parents to discuss the issue.
Absences in special circumstances
- Absences must be limited to cases of real illness and holidays will not be authorised during school time.
- However, it is acknowledged that there may be special circumstances where you may be absent from school.
- In these circumstances, a request should be put in writing to the Director of Sixth Form clearly stating the reasons for the proposed absence.
- The circumstances of your request will be considered and you will receive a written response.
- Where the decision is taken to refuse permission, the absence will remain unauthorised should you choose to ignore this.
|Absence||authorised||proof required in advance|
|Personal issues e.g. doctor, dental, opticians, orthodontist appointments & funerals||Yes||Students to bring evidence to Sixth Form Tutor|
|Birthdays or similar celebrations||No|
|Driving test - practical||Yes||Students to bring evidence to Sixth Form Tutor|
|Driving Test - Theory exam and lessons||No|
|University Open Days and Summer Schools||At the discretion of Sixth Form Tutor||Students to email Sixth Form Tutor for permission|
|Other i.e. examinations, job interview, participation in extra curricular activities, rehearsal for events relating to schools etc.||At the discretion of Sixth Form Tutor||Students to bring evidence to Head of Year|