For the Year 2 main topics, please click here
Key learning in writing, with scanned sample(s)
- Write simple and coherent narratives e.g. story
- Write about real events: diary
- Use full stops, capital letters, questions marks, exclamation marks and commas in a list.
- Use past/ present tense correctly
- Use conjunctions to link sentences e.g. ‘and’ ‘because’ ‘but’ ‘when’
- Spell many common exception words correctly.
- Use phonics to sound out unfamiliar words
- Form capital letters and digits of the correct size, orientation and relationship to one another. E.g. show short and tall letters.
- Use spacing between words that reflects the size of the letters.
Key Maths skills (with scanned samples):
Recommended reading books for Year 2:
Any other specific year-group information?
Past and present tense